VMCE Flashcards – Chapter 6: Object Recovery
[qdeck card_back=”none” random=”true”]
[i] Chapter 6: Object Recovery
[q] Can you name the different Veeam Explorers?
[a] Veeam Explorer for:
– Active Directory
[q] What restore options do you have when using the Veeam explorer for Exchange?
[a] – Exporting mailbox folders and items as Personal Folder Files (.pst)
– Saving mailbox items as Microsoft Exchange Mail Documents (.msg)
– Sending mailbox items as attachments via email
– Restoring mailbox folders and items (available only with Veeam Backup & Replication
– Enterprise and Enterprise Plus Editions)
– Recovery to Online Archive mailbox.
[q] For which versions of Exchange does the Veeam explorer for Exchange grant complete visibility?
[a] Exchange 2010 SP1, SP2 and SP3 (NOT the GA), 2013 and 2016
[q] For which versions of Sharepoint does the Veeam explorer for Exchange grant complete visibility?
[a] SharePoint 2010, 2013 and 2016
[q] To perform Microsoft SharePoint item recovery, Veeam Explorer requires a Microsoft SQL Server that will be used as a staging system. What are the requirements of this staging server?
[a]1. The staging Microsoft SQL Server can run on the machine where Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint is installed, or on another machine.
2. The staging system must have the same or a later version of Microsoft SQL Server as the server that hosts restored Microsoft SharePoint content databases
[q] What do you need to be able to work with remote BLOB stores (RBS) of the SharePoint content database?
[a] Make sure that you have your remote BLOB store virtualized on the corresponding platform (VMware or HyperV). Also, make sure that it is either included in the SharePoint backup created by Veeam Backup & Replication (for automated discovery), or stored on the local machine running Veeam Explorer and staging SQL server (for manual discovery).
[q] What are the requirements of a staging SQL Server configuration?
[a] 1. FILESTREAM should be enabled on the database server, and filestream settings should be enabled at database level.
2. RBS Client Library should be installed on the database server.
[q] What are the restore option of the Veeam Explorer for Active Directory?
[a] -Export objects/containers to a local folder or network drive.
– Restore them to the original or different location.
[q] For which versions of Active Directory does Veeam grant complete visibility?
[a] Active Directory 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2 and 2016
[q] what are the capabilities offered by the Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SQL Server?
[a] – Browsing SQL server instances and databases
– Exporting the database to a local folder or network drive, including quick and easy 1-Click Export
– Restoring the database to the original server or different server
– Restoring SQL tables
[q] To be able to restore an SQL Database to a point in time or even to a certain transaction, which kind of logging does your SQL database needs to have?
[a] Full or Bulk Logging
[q] What is maximum size of a database that SQL Express is able to mount?
[q] Which versions of Microsoft SQL Server are supported for transaction log backups?
[a] Microsoft SQL Server 2005, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2014 & 2016
[q] What are the requirement of an SQL Staging server when restoring SQL Databases or Tables?
[a] It should have the same or later version as the original Microsoft SQL Server. Besides, if the source database uses any editionspecific features, then staging system should be of the same or higher edition than the original SQL Server.
[q] What are the capabilities offered by the Veeam Explorer for Oracle?
[a] – Browsing Oracle system hierarchy
– Restoring databases to the original server or different server, including quick and easy 1-Click Restore
Veeam supports several database restore options:
– To the current point in time (that is, to the moment when currently selected Oracle VM backup was created)
– To the selected point in time (here log replay will bring the database to the desired point)
– To the state before selected transaction
[q] Which requirements apply to an Oracle staging server?
[a] 1. A staging server must have the same Oracle database version as the source (original) and
target Oracle server.
2. If you plan to restore databases with Automatic Storage Management enabled, the staging and
target servers should have ASM enabled, too.
3. Oracle Database Express Edition cannot be used as a staging system
[q] For which file systems can Veeam use it’s built-in Windows file-level recovery (Guest-OS recovery)?
[a] For Windows-based VMs with NTFS, FAT, FAT32 and ReFS file systems
[q] For which files systems does Veeam Backup & Replication offers multi-OS file-level recovery?
[a] For the most commonly used file systems on Windows, Linux, Solaris, BSD, Novell Netware, Unix and Mac (OS X) machines.
[q] If there a way to restore files from a file system not supported by Guest-OS or Multi-OS recovery?
[a] For any other file system, Veeam Backup & Replication enables you to leverage Instant VM Recovery to perform manual file-level recovery
[q] Can you explain/describe what the Veeam FLR Helper is?
[a] The FLR helper is a virtual appliance running a stripped down Linux kernel that has a minimal set of components, used to
mounts the VMDK files to the FLR appliance as virtual hard drives. VMDK files are mounted directly from backup
files, without prior extraction of the backup content.
[x] [restart] [/qdeck]